Why Study Chords?
If you study-practice chords the right way, you will...
- Learn your way around the piano, discovering the unique and sometimes quirky patterns of white and black notes that form each chord.
- Transform your sight-reading skills from mere memorization into profound understanding by recognizing when chords are used in written music.
- Develop your aural comprehension skills, learning to recognize when chords are used when you listen to music.
- Acquire meaningful harmonic vocabulary for improvising.
- Develop a second-nature technique and artistic sensibility that integrates fingering, choreography, rhythm, articulation, phrasing, and dynamics.
Each dimension that you master connects and deepens your musical understandings. As your knowledge base and skill sets grow, so will your confidence. You will spontaneously start to apply your knowledge and skills in practical playing situations like sight reading, playing by ear, learning a piece by heart, improvisation, and transposition. Enjoy the process!
learn more... Chord Study Goals